Our Members' Blogs

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

God is at work in our prayer

By Nancy Shuman



Jesus Christ in Capernaum by Rodolfo Amoedo (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons).



As I've been praying, and writing about, and trying to live lectio divina over these last weeks, there is one part I'd almost forgotten.

Lectio is not a one sided activity.  I read, I talk to God, I commit to Him.  And then....

Something happens.

This is not always a "felt" something.  It may not be perceived by me at all.  But when I am speaking with Jesus and reading His Word and committing myself to live for Him, an amazing thing is going on.  Jesus is actually here.  Not just in my imagination, not by an act of wishful thinking, but He is genuinely here.

I can forget this breathtaking reality when my prayer has been dry or weighed down with distractions.  But Jesus is actually here, regardless of how I feel.  AND...

He is doing something.  Sometimes He brushes my spirit with His presence, sometimes He breathes a word of Scripture into my life, sometimes He lets me see a path I might be called to take.  But always He is here, and always He is acting.


Continue reading at Nancy's blog The Cloistered Heart.

4 comments:

  1. Beautfiul, Nancy. Reading this makes me want to run and get my bible and maybe Father Gaitley's new book on the Trinity and open that door for Jesus. He is so faithful to always come! Thank you for your beautiful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Patricia. And I didn't realize Father Gaitley had a new book on the Trinity! (how did I miss THAT?!). Definitely worth looking into....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so comforting and so beautiful! I needed to read this today...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O WOW! This is so beautiful on so many levels that I will have to reread and reread. To experience the "something" is so amazing, I wonder why we don't immerse ourselves into prayer more deeply--to leave the door open for His coming more often. I love "Sometimes He brushes my spirit with His presence," so wonderful He is always with us in prayer. This will continue to help open the door....Thank you so much for this powerful post!! God Bless...

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments charitable and free of bad language. Thanks!