Our Members' Blogs

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

From mystical premonition to contemplation

By David Torkington


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/N%C3%B8rre_Alslev_kirke_-_Apsis_-_Stifter.jpg 


Sometime ago I was speaking about what I called Mystical premonition or touches of God when one of the audience asked “Are we talking about something that is a particularly Christian experience, or does everyone experience God’s touch?”

“It’s for everyone,” I replied emphatically. “God loves everyone, not just Christians, but Christians do respond in a unique way.” Let me explain what I mean. Long before he became a saint, when he was still a pagan, St Augustine experienced those ‘touches of God’. In writing about the way he reacted to them in his Confessions he gives us a perfect example of how we should react too, in order to deepen our spiritual life.

From his Confessions: -

“When first I knew you, you lifted me up so that I might see that there was something to see, but that I was not yet the man to see it. And you beat back the weakness of my gaze, blazing upon me too strongly, and I was shaken with love and with dread. You called and cried to me and broke open my deafness and you sent forth your beams and shone upon me and chased away my blindness. You breathed fragrance upon me, and I drew in my breath, and do now pant for you. I tasted you, and now hunger and thirst for you. You touched me, and I have burned for your peace. So I set about finding a way to gain the strength that was necessary for enjoying you. And I could not find it until I embraced the mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus, who was calling unto me and saying, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life’.”

Continue reading at David Torkington.

2 comments:

  1. David, I love your analogy of the rocket. Do you mind if I borrow it some times? This is an excellent explanation of natural contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With absolute pleasure Connie. Thanks for publishing and keep up your excellent work.
    David

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments charitable and free of bad language. Thanks!